Charles Evans » Bucks County TiesConnection to Bucks County
In 1931,while still in his twenties, Charles Evans and his wife, Eleanor Noteware, bought New Hope's old silk mill. This had been a favorite subject of the painter Robert Spencer. Evans met Charles Frederick Ramsey, the leader of the New Group, a secessionist group of modernist artists which later became the Independents. Evans was one of its original members, along with Henry Baker, Charles Child, Ralston Crawford, Robert Hogue, Peter Keenan, R.A.D. Miller, C. F. Ramsey, and Faye Swengel Badura. After encouraging Louis Stone to move to the area in 1935 he began the Cooperative Painting Project with Ramsey and Stone. This project produced art collectively, not unlike the processes in jazz improvisation. They were occasionally joined by journalist William Chapman, poet Stanley Kunitz, and carpenter Karl Roos. After moving to Lambertville in 1935, Lee Gatch joined Evans, Stone and Ramsey for weekly discussions at Ledger's Inn.
Evans remained involved in the New Hope community until the 1950s. He sold his home in New Hope and retired to Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts in 1970.
Colleagues and Affiliations
Evans was a member of the Independents along with Peter Keenan, Robert Hogue, R.A.D. Miller, Henry Baker, Ralston Crawford, C.F. Ramsey, Charles Child, and Faye Swengel Badura and a member of the Coopeartive Painting Project.
In 1948 Evans co-founded the New Hope Gazette with Walter M. Teller. He also created set designs for St. John Terrell's Lambertville Music Circus. Through his theater and design interests, Evans worked with Elmer Case, James Hamilton, Karl Karhumaa, and Emile Laugier