In the new millennium, everything is going digital and people are busy looking for ways to advance their projects. Artists for instance are busy on the verge of searching for the best artwork scanners to perfect what they do.
With the best scanners for artists, nothing will be stressful for any artist who needs to go top in this industry. But then, what are the best scanners for artwork worthy trying to take projects steps ahead?
Our review presents ideas of the best scanner for watercolor art artists should try to stay different and unique from others.
Our Expert Recommendations:
We scrutinized almost all popular brands in the market and choose options that can make a difference in an artist’s projects. They boast advanced features that make them different from others in the market.
Information herein shall get you the best scanner as an artist you should employ to accomplish the best projects.
10 Best Art Scanner Reviews
Now, if you have struggled to select your perfect artwork scanner, you are on the best platform. You will have information about how to go about the selection process and what makes the best scanner for artwork.
The features different models boast is what shows they are capable to do. Let’s have information on the top models we have in the market.
1. Epson Perfection V600 Color Photo, Image & Art Scanner
- Create extraordinary enlargements from film: 6400 x 9600 dpi for enlargements up to 17 Inches x 22 Inches. Maximum Scan Area 8.5 x 11.7 inches. TPU 2.7 x 9.5 inches
- Remove the appearance of dust and scratches from film: Digital ICE for Film
- Remove the appearance of tears and creases from photos: Digital ICE for prints
- Restore faded color photos with one touch: Epson easy photo fix included
- Scan slides, negatives and medium format panoramic film: Built in transparency unit
For several decades now, Epson manufacturers have remained the top artwork scanner producers in the market. Epson Perfection V600 scanners emerge as one of the popular models that almost every artist yearns to use.
These models stand out from the rest in the market due to the excellent resolution they are known to provide. They make the perfect options for doing prints, slides, arts, documents as well as films.
Another thing that makes these artwork scanners the top models around is their excellent editing options and capabilities. Boasting a maximum scanning area of 8.5 x 11.7 inches, these models can enlarge documents up to 17 x 22 Inches.
With ABBYY FineReader Sprint Plus OCR, you can edit every text to suit your needs. Epson Perfection V600 scanners get designed in a way that they can convert scanned documents into readable and editable text.
Consequently, they boast the Digital ICE for both prints and film to remove the scratch and dust appearance from photos and films.
That’s not all, manufacturers include an easy photo fix feature that helps restore faded color photos with a single touch.
Nevertheless, they have inbuilt transparency units that enable them to scan negatives, slides, and panoramic films with ease.
- Easy restorers for old photos
- Excellent performers
- Versatile models
- Great clarity
- Heavy scanner models
- Not easy to setup
2. Plustek Photo Scanner – ephoto Z300, Scan 4×6 Photo in 2sec, Auto Crop, and Deskew
- The easiest way to scan photos and documents. Supports 3x5, 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 in sizes photo scanning but also letter and A4 size paper. Optical Resolution is up to 600 dpi ( PS: two setting: 300dpi/ 600dpi).
- Fast and easy, 2 seconds for one 4x6 photo and 5 seconds for one 8x10 size photo@300dpi. You can easily convert about 1000 photos to digitize files in one afternoon and share with your family or friends.
- More efficient than a flatbed scanner. Just insert the photos one by one and then scan. This makes ePhoto much more efficient than a flatbed scanner.
- Powerful Image Enhancement functions included. Quickly enhance and restore old faded images with a click of the mouse.
- ePhoto Z300 works with both Mac and PC : Supports Windows 7/8/10/11 , Mac OS X 10.10 to 11.x. User can download the latest version on Plustek website.
People looking for versatile scanners need to get nothing other than Plustek Photo Scanner – ephoto Z300. With these artwork models, scanning photos and documents is ever a breeze.
They not only support A4 size paper scanning but also letters, 3×5, 4×6, 5×7, and 8×10 photos. Moreover, their 600 dpi resolution power gives clear photos of scanned documents.
Like other premium artwork scanners in the market, these models are not only easy to use but also fast. At 300dpi resolution, they can scan 8×10 photos within five seconds while 4×6 for just two seconds.
Moreover, converting photos and documents into readable file formats is a breeze. You can spend less than half a day converting 1000 photos into digital files.
Compared with the flatbed scanners, Plustek Photo Scanner – ephoto Z300 emerges as a more efficient option to use. All users need is to insert photos and set continuous scanning for all photos at hand.
That’s not all, these models boast image enhancement functions that restore and enhance old or scratched old photos and films. As premium graphic art scanner models around, they work effectively with both PCs and Mac.
- Versatile artwork scanners
- Easy to use
- Great resolution
- Restore old photos and films
- Poor scanning quality
- Need to improve on customer service
3. Doxie Go SE Art Portable Scanner
- 【Go Paperless】Doxie Go SE delivers smart, simple scanning that you can take anywhere – no computer required. Doxie's everything you want modern scanning to be.
- 【Fast, Easy Scanning】Doxie makes it easy to scan documents at your desk or on the go – simply insert your paper. Scan full-color pages in just 8 seconds at up to 600 dpi.
- 【Tiny + Battery Powered】Doxie is tiny – the size of a rolled up magazine – and portable with a rechargeable battery and included memory. Scan up to 400 pages per charge, store up to 8,000 pages before needing to sync.
- 【Amazing Software and OCR】Included Doxie app syncs scans, sends directly to your favorite apps, and uses the award-winning ABBYY OCR technology to recognize the text in your document to create multi-page searchable PDFs.
- 【Protected by DoxieCare】Every new Doxie includes a comprehensive 1-year manufacturer warranty. Complete with access to the best support in the scanner industry to help you scan, organize, or just provide tips on the best ways to scan your paper.
Here come our third models that have proved to offer a perfect solution in the artwork industry. Being the most portable scanners in the market, these models provide excellent scans in the shortest time.
You need neither a computer nor any other device to accomplish your project at all. They offer a modern way of scanning photos and documents from wherever you need them.
Another thing that makes these artwork scanners perfect is their easy and fast scanning power of documents. With up to 600dpi resolution power, these models can scan full-colored pages within eight seconds.
They are the smallest and thinnest models you can operate from anywhere you need. You can even place the machine on the desk, insert papers, and start scanning.
Unlike the large format scanner for artwork, these models boast internal memories that store up to 8000 pages. They also come with rechargeable batteries that support 400 pages of scanning for a single charge.
That’s not all, they boast ABBYY OCR technology text recognition in documents to create search PDFs. Nevertheless, they have app syncs scans that enable sending documents directly into users’ preferable apps.
- Super performers
- Backed by one-year manufacturer warranty
- Easy to set up and use
- Excellent clarity
- The app lacks an auto-update feature
- Document feeder not reliable
4. Epson Perfection V19 Color Photo & Document Scanner
- Everyday scanning for photos and documents — 4800 dpi optical resolution (1) for amazing clarity and detail.
- Scan and share on cloud services (3) — includes Epson Easy Photo Scan software for scanning to Evernote and more
- Fast speeds — scan letter-sized documents in as few as 10 seconds
- Easy-to-use buttons — scan to email or create PDFs.
- Save space — built-in kickstand for vertical placement.
A beginner needs an easy-to-operate scanner to learn how to take their project’s steps high. If you are new in this industry, then Epson Perfection V19 Color Photo & Document Scanner are what to try.
As premium artwork scanners around, their resolutions are something that gives them a slot in this review. With 4800 dpi resolution power, these models produce clear work from scanned photos and documents.
Moreover, these models boast excellent features that up to their scanning capabilities. For instance, they employ Epson easy photo scan software to share scanned photos and documents on cloud services. You can scan documents to cloud services including Evernote and many others.
Consequently, the scanning speed is something that gives these scanners a slot in our review. You can scan letter-sized documents for instance for as low as 10 seconds.
Nevertheless, they boast easy-to-use buttons, you can scan documents or create PDFs in a short time with ease.
Lastly, if you need verticle placements, they have inbuilt kickstands that save space for such activity.
- USB powered
- Excellent resolution
- Great performers
- Easy to use
- A bit slower in scanning
- Not durable
5. Canon CanoScan LiDE220 Photo and Document Scanner
- With Send to Cloud you can easily upload your images to Cloud Services like Evernote and Dropbox
- Auto Scan Mode automatically adjusts settings by detecting what you are scanning
- Scan a letter sized document in approx. 10 seconds
- Auto Document Fix automatically employs area by area correction for beautiful, easy to view scans
- OS Compatibility Windows:5,6 Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows 7 SP1, Windows Vista SP1, Vista SP2, Windows XP SP3 32 bit.5,6. Mac:5,6Mac OS X v10.6.8 10.95,6
Atomization is a thing that has changed how projects get accomplished in this new millennium. Canon CanoScan LiDE220 Scanners stands the best in the market for boasting immense automatized features. For instance, these emerge in the list of a few artwork scanners that allows vertical scanning.
Like the best flatbed scanner for artwork, sharing photos and documents with family members and friends is a breeze.
They boast send to Cloud feature to enable users to upload scanned projects easily to Cloud services like Dropbox and Evernote.
Moreover, they have an auto-scan mode feature that detects what you plan to scan and adjust to settings automatically.
Consequently, scanning documents is fast and easy like the scanner for 11×17 artwork models. Canon CanoScan LiDE220 scanners can work on letter-sized documents to accomplish projects within 10 seconds.
Nevertheless, they also have an auto document fix feature that corrects any scratches and dents on photos and documents. After a project, scanned documents are not only clear but also easy to view by the end-users.
- Combats with both PC and Mac
- Easy to use
- Great clarity
- Super performers
- Blurs if the paper is not flat
- 4800 Dpi has limitations
6. Plustek A3 Large Format Flatbed Scanner OS 1180: 11.7×17 scan Size for Blueprints and Document
- ✔WE SCAN SIZES - A3 11.69""x 17" Large Format Scanning
- ✔NO MORE WAITING - LED Light Source, Save Energy, No Warm Up
- ✔HASSLE-FREE OPERATION - Pre Set Function One-Touch Button for Your Quick Use.
- ✔POWERFUL SOFTWARE BUNDLE - Enhanced OCR Accuracy with ABBYY FineReader 12, and DocAction for File Sharing
- ✔SCAN MODE - 48 bit Color /16 bit Gray-Scale for Scan Art, Documents and Other Items
Save energy by scanning photos and documents using Plustek A3 Large Format Flatbed Scanners. The LED Light Source of these models saves energy and accomplishes scanning in a short time.
No delays at all, the scanner can scan large format documents without warming up. For instance, the machine can scan A3 11.69″ x 17″ papers within 10 seconds.
Setting up and using these artwork scanners is a breeze like other premium models in the market. They boast preset functions that enable hassle-free operations to complete projects in time.
That’s not all, sharing photos and documents is something you can accomplish with ease. These models boast DocAction and ABBYY FineReader features for users to share files.
Consequently, their high-resolution power and enhanced OCR accuracy ensure users have clear documents after scanning.
Another thing that boasts of their uniqueness is their excellent scan mode feature. They have a 16/48 bit Grayscale for scanning artworks, photos, and other items.
- Best value CID scanner
- Great clarity
- Versatile models
- Easy to set up and use
- No warranty details
- Poor customer service
7. Canon CanoScan 9000F Color Image Scanner
- Fare Level 3 delivers automatic dust and scratch removal as well as fading, grain and backlight correction
- Zero warm-up time and lower power consumption with White LED
- "Auto Scan Mode" automatically adjusts settings by detecting what you are scanning
- Maximum Document Size: 8.5 x 11.7 Inch (21.6 x 29.7cm)
Here come Camon models taking the seventh slot for proving to offer artist solutions to perfect their projects. Being in the market for several decades, manufacturers have gained a reputation for producing quality scanners for use.
They beat the rest for their excellent resolution that makes them produce quality images. Manufacturers design them with excellent resolution for artworks, films, illustrations, and photos.
Another thing that gives these models a slot in this review is their image correction features. They automatically remove scratch and dust from photos and documents to ensure clear images come out.
Moreover, Canon CanoScan 9000F scanners are best at removing backlight, grain, and forms of fading from photos and documents.
As high quality scanner for art, completion of a project is something of a few seconds. With an LED light source, these scanners use low power to complete scanning with now warming-up time.
That’s not all, they boast an auto-scan mode feature that adjusts settings automatically by detecting documents ready for scanning.
Lastly, Canon CanoScan 9000F scanners can scan 8.5 x 11.7 Inch maximum size documents.
- Saves power
- Easy to operate
- Excellent performers
- Versatile models
- Doesn’t scan color negatives
- Not supported by Canon
8. VIISAN 3240 A3 Large Format Scanner, Color Receipt & Document & Photo & Book & Art & CAD Scanner
- [A3 large format & high speed] VIISAN 3240 designed for high quality scanning of artworks, photos, painting albums, books, magazines, newspapers, CAD drawings, and other large document items up to 304 x 426 mm (11.98" x 16.8") in size. It is ideal for school projects,business work, graphic designing and digital publishing work.It takes only 4 seconds or an A3 size.
- [high resolution Contact Image Sensor (CIS) & Supports multiple drivers] VIISAN 3240 provides a maximum optical resolution of 2400 x 2400 dpi which delivers a color depth of 48-bit vivid true-to-life image and realizes smoother and more detailed color gradient and variations.Compatible with Windows TWAIN, WIA, MacOS ICA, and Linux XSANE drivers.
- [Convenient Auto-Scan Function & NO More Waiting] VIISAN 3240 by detecting the cover sensor, the Auto-Scan function enables the scanner to scan automatically when the scanner lid is closed. It enhances the efficiency of continuous scanning process.and LED Light Source, Save Energy, No Warm-Up Time,No More Waiting
- [Unique Frameless Narrow Boundary Design & High strength of the glass platen] VIISAN 3240 adopt unique frameless and ultra thin panel design of platen, VF series makes it easy to slide scan objects out after scanning. When scanning thick bound books, it allows books to lay flat against the platen's surface, which eliminates the book spine shadow during scanning,and it can bear up to 5 pounds for scanning large file.
- [1-year limited warranty] We provide a one-year warranty for Non-man-made damage.
Lastly, we have VIISAN 3240 A3 Large Format Scanners making an appearance in this review for their excellent scanning capabilities.
Their high processing speed, and capability to scan large formats of works make them perfect solutions worthy to consider.
Another thing that makes them perfect in the market is their great versatility in this industry. You can employ them to scan different artwork, magazines, books, CAD drawings, photos, newspapers, and painting albums.
High-resolution power also contributes to the reasons VIISAN 3240 A3 Large Format Scanners appear in this review.
With 2400 x 2400 dpi resolution, these models form great representations of machines that produce quality and clear images.
Images produced have a color depth of 48-bit vivid, expect a detailed image you can see without struggling. They make perfect solutions for business projects, school work, digital publishing, and graphic designing.
Consequently, scanning is easy and fast since they take about four seconds to accomplish an A3-size paper project. Unlike other fine art scanner models, these options boast an auto scan function for automatic scanning upon closure of lids.
Nevertheless, they adopt ultra-thin and frameless panels that enable easy sliding of documents after scanning.
- Backed by one year warranty
- Excellent performers
- Great resolution
- Easy to use
- The scanner sucks
- Very noisy
After the discussion, still buyers might get stuck on what how to choose the best scanner for artists overall.
From our review, we choose Epson V600 models are the perfect machines to try out. What makes them perfect is their great resolution power and excellent functionality features.
Another thing that makes Epson V600 scanners the best for large artwork in the market is their superb enlargement options.
Moreover, their versatility is also something that gives them an upper hand over other models in the market. These scanners are ideal for photos, drawings, prints, blueprints, films, and many others.
Consequently, their return warrant is something that tells they are quality models worthy to purchase.
Unlike the 11×17 scanner for artwork models backed with one-year warranties, Epson manufacturers back their models with two years warranty.
For clear and excellent scanning results, Epson V600 scanners make the perfect options worthy to try.
What to Look for Before Buying a Art Scanner
Still, with the above review, several people may find it hard to distinguish the best scanner for artwork to purchase.
This is why we are also adding a shopping guide to make the selection process a breeze for all prospective buyers.
Our guide comprises all important aspects that will give you the best art scanner. Below are five aspects buyers should employ to settle on models that suit their needs.
After reading through the features of the above top models, you will start singling them by their bit depth. All that users need from their projects is quality and nothing less than that.
In the market, you will come across various scanners with different bit depths ranging from 8 to 32.
It’s from these models you will choose the product to take home depending on the quality required.
In this situation, you will have to jump for 32 bit if you intend to get the highest quality from projects. But then, this does not mean other bit depths won’t give you results.
You can as well go for 16-bit artwork scanners and still get quality projects at the end. But then, it’s good if you consider models that have depths ranging from 2 bit to 32 bit.
Another important aspect worth considering is the scanner’s resolution power. This is what will define the clarity and overall color accuracy of your artwork projects.
An excellent resolution means the text clarity and color depth remain to the required levels.
Out there, various artwork scanners boast different resolution power depending on the make. Manufacturers usually indicate the resolution of their scanners either on the side of the device or the instruction manual.
Artwork experts recommend purchasing scanners boasting 600DPI resolution power for quality work.
The speed the scanner takes to complete projects is paramount when looking for the best large format scanner for artwork. This all depends on where you will use your scanner, either for professional or home usage.
For professional usage, you will require a scanner that processes pieces of paper quickly unlike the one for home-usage. But then quick scanning is a great deal both at home and even at the workplace.
Out there, you will come across various models boasting different speed levels ranging from as low as 5 PPM.
If you need a scanner that processes faster, then a model with a minimum of 30 PPM is excellent for this.
But still, have in mind that higher resolution models will take longer in scanning to give the required quality.
Lastly, the budget comes in as the last aspect that wraps up when purchasing the best scanner for art.
Most people start by this not bearing in mind that this compromises the quality of the product they intend to choose.
For this reason, always let the budget aspect come last after considering all other factors available.
In the market, artwork scanners cost as low as $200, and others go beyond $400. Now, after going through the review, you can come up with about four models that can solve your needs.
These models should have the same score and you feel they can make a difference in your artwork projects. From your list, consider the most affordable option and pay for it.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it better to scan or photograph artwork?
Yes, scanning artwork provides the best results than photographing your project. This is basically to artwork projects that aren’t acrylic or lacks 3D dimensional aspects.
With scanning, you will have more resolution and get your projects more clear.
2. How do I digitize my artwork?
Digitalizing artwork starts by scanning your project into TIFF file size. Thereafter, do another scanning of about 300 DPI, but not lower than that. You are almost done, after this, it’s time to add texture to your artwork project.
If you need splendid texture, you can either use a CIS or CCD scanner for this. But then, experts recommend using CCD scanners for the best textures. Before scanning, it’s good to spray smudgeable media with some fixative.
But then, working with bigger artwork projects is somehow done differently. For larger artwork projects, you will need to start by scanning them into pieces. After that, you will stitch the pieces in Photoshop together.
3. Is it better to scan or photograph artwork?
Experts can tell you that scanning is the best thing you should do if it’s manageable. Anything that fits into a scanner will possibly produce an image clear as the original photo.
Consequently, scanning prevents distortion of images that can be a thing when taking photography.
Take an example of taking photographs of larger images. Your camera lens should always go parallel with the project at hand to get all information captured.
If you are working on larger images, captured images may not be proportional to the original one. A lot of distortion will result in the production of poor images.
4. Can you scan watercolor?
Capturing watercolors is best done these days through scanning. This is especially for artists who need to capture their artwork projects in digital format.
Scanning watercolor is the easiest and most effective way of getting vibrant color reproduction.
Finding a high quality scanner for artwork is simple for individuals who plan well for it. Reading review to give you information about what you should consider should come at the top of everything. A buying guide will simplify things wherever you might get stuck in between the process.
Our review has provided a blueprint of the top scanners artists should employ to take the steps of their projects higher.
We have also provided a shopping guide to kill down the hectic processes involved in selecting perfect models in the market. Incorporating ideas herein will lead you to the best art scanner that gives you excellent results.
Up Next: Best Indoor Scanner Antenna